Access to your Zoom Meeting
Prior to each presentation you will be sent an email containing
- A link to the meeting on Zoom where the presentation will be held.
- A Zoom ID for that presentation.
- A password for that presentation.
These will be different for each presentation, so if you attend multiple presentations be sure to use the correct ones!
Emails with this information are normally sent the day of the presentation at about 9am and 1pm EDT for a 1:30pm EDT presentation. Unless you tell us otherwise, the emails will be sent to the address associated with your PayPal account. Be sure to check for our email in your correct account.
If you do not get an email, you can contact The Daguerreian Society at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep your password, as it also can be used to access the video recording of the presentation. Recordings will be accessible from The Daguerreian Society's web site at https://www.daguerreiansociety.org/the-daguerreian-society-lecture-series/ within a week of the presentation itself.
A Zoom account is not required. You can join the Zoom meeting as a participant without creating an account.
How to Join a Meeting:
- You can join the meeting EITHER by clicking the meeting link in the email from The Daguerreian Society OR by going to join.zoom.us and entering in the meeting ID and password.
- Once you have requested to join the meeting you may have to wait briefly for a moderator to admit you to the meeting.
- We recommend joining the meeting 10-15 minutes before its scheduled start time.
- Your mic will be muted upon entering the meeting.
- You don’t need to have a webcam to join a Zoom Meeting. You will be able to listen and speak during the meeting and view the webcam video of other participants and hosts. You have the option to turn off your video during the meeting, while still being able to see and hear the hosts.
- Still not sure? Perform a ZOOM test ahead of the meeting. [ Link to Test ]
- If you are unable to join the meeting, visit Zoom Support Center. [ Link to Support Center ]
Managing your Zoom Display
- Viewers have the control over the format of their displays. The main options are "Active Speaker", where the person speaking takes up most of the screen, and "Gallery View", which is tiled (or "Brady Bunch"). We normally will mute viewers during the talk, so "Active Speaker" is likely what you will want.
- Zoom's help for video layout is here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362323-How-Do-I-Change-The-Video-Layout- .
- You might have different options depending on your computer, or whether you are using the Zoom application or browser-based client.
An ideal zoom layout for watching a presentation looks like this:
- You will need a relatively modern device (PC, MAC, TABLET, PHONE) and strong/reliable internet access.
- While Wi-fi can work if your home/office has excellent connectivity, a wired internet connection to your device is recommended.
- You can test the speed of your internet connection by visiting https://www.speedtest.net. An upload speed of 10mbps or greater is advised.
- If internet access is being shared in your home/office and others are downloading or streaming video at the same time, you may experience connectivity issues.
- Close other applications running on your device before joining the ZOOM session.
The video and audio of this course will be recorded and may be shared. If you choose to participate in a discussion, you are presumed to consent to the use of your comments and your image in these recordings. If you do not wish for your image to be recorded, please disable your webcam (the presentation will still be visible to you).
Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) will be made on request.
Use of Zoom
Use of Zoom services for this class is the sole risk of the class participant. The Daguerreian Society is not responsible for any damage resulting from the use of the Zoom service. Use at your own risk.